View all posts by Michelle:
Working in a pet industry means you are operating in a crowded marketplace. There are lots of ideas an innovations floating around, and often with very good backing as well. If you do want to launch a new product, it’s perfectly possible to do so – after all, this industry is huge. However, you must have a good plan of action to make sure it is successful.
Research is going to be a key part of the process for you. You will have to make sure your product is as unique as you think it is, and check that you are coming up with something that people will actually use. Carry out consumer research, as well as brand research to make sure your product isn’t already on the market.
It’s important you know pets will love it, too! Look up pets’ most popular products in pet shops and see how your product will fit into the marketplace.
A dog walker will be able to walk and look after your pet for you whilst you are at work, away or busy. They will usually visit your home, pick up your dog and take them for a walk, which is all part of the service. You will have a schedule with them, agreed in advance to make sure your dog is always looked after.
If you are looking to hire a dog walker, you will need to find someone you can trust. They don’t necessarily need to have a lot of experience, as long as they get on with your dog and provide a reliable service. You will often be able to find good dog walkers on dog walking websites, which set you up with people in your local area. It is usually advisable for you to meet them, with your dog, to see the chemistry. Some walkers can also provide training for an additional cost.
The pet trade is rapidly growing and is a major UK industry. Pet trade events give businesses in the pet industry the chance to showcase their products, letting the world know exactly what they can offer. These kinds of events are important in the pet industry and really help businesses to thrive, by promoting their products and giving businesses a good platform to network.
Pet events might fall into two general categories – pet events for businesses and events for the public.The type of event you choose to exhibit at will all depend on what you want to achieve. If you are looking to network with other businesses, visit a trade only show. This gives you the chance to really catch up with your industry, stay on top of its latest developments ad meet other businesses who are working in similar areas as you. Trade shows have played a major part in launching pet businesses for many people.
What happens at a pet trade event?
Usually at a pet trade event, there will be people from various areas of the industry showing their products and services. There could be various different things going on – some of the most popular are:
- Stalls and exhibits. This is where exhibitors set up stalls to show people their products. They might have leaflets and promotional products to give away, as well as the actual products themselves. If people offer services, such as dog grooming or pet training, then they can also give people information about these.
- Live demonstrations. There will often be live demonstrations going on, for the people whose businesses work better when being shown. This allows them to show people what they can do. It could be anything, from an IT programme for pet shops to a new training method for pet owner to use.
- Giveaways and competitions. Events will usually be running some kind of promotion to entice pet businesses in. You can enter yourself into various competitions and see if you can win something beneficial for your business. This will often be beneficial for your business and will help you find out about other products on the market.
- Networking. This is a great way to meet other pet businesses and explore the marketplace in general. It is especially beneficial if you are looking for something to help with your business, such as a new product range to sell, a new supplier or a new kind of business system. If you meet people who are like minded and who want to help your business, as well as promote their own, you might be able to get products for some very reasonable prices.
If you are going to go to a pet business event, make sure you register in advance – the most popular ones can get booked up very quickly. It might also cost money if you want to exhibit there, so find out about packages and the cheapest ways of being able to attend. You could also find out about whether you are able to take part in live demonstrations.
A pet business is a little different to a normal business. It needs to think about two lots of personalities – the people and the animals. The animals very much need to be a priority, but then again, so do the people who are running the business. Here are some things to help you run a successful pet business:
- Employ passionate people. You can teach people skills, but you can’t teach them to love animals. Employ people who genuinely love pets and want to work with them.
- Never lose sight of why you do what you do. It’s easy to get bogged down in business admin and stock control. Remember the pets, the animals you love, and why you care about them.
- Keep a business head on. At the same time, you need to be a dispassionate business person sometimes. Be organised – its for the good of the people you employ, the pets you love, and your business.
Microchipping a pet is essential if you have its best interests at heart. You will need to get dogs and cats microchipped to keep them safe, so that if they get lost, you will be able to find them again. A microchip will include all of your details so that people can get hold of you if they find your pet.
You should get your pet microchipped as soon as you can after you get them. This is especially important for outdoor cats, that could very easily get lost. It’s more likely that they will become disorientated and get lost early on when they don’t know their new territory, so a microchip becomes even more important.
You can have your pet microchipped at any veterinary surgery. If is a very quick and simple procedure, where the microchip will be inserted into the skin at the back of the animal’s neck. It won’t be too expensive – but you can’t put a price on pet safety anyway.