For many people who love animals, the idea of working with them all day every day might sound like a dream come true. The pet industry can be a great field to get into for many reasons – it can be lucrative, it will keep you busy and it gives great job satisfaction. Here are some things to think about:
- You will need to hold a license that can be obtained from the council. This will give you permission to sell animals on your premises.
- Inspections can be carried out at any time to ensure that animal welfare standards are being met.
- You will need to be business minded. Running a pet shop is not just about caring for animals, it is also about securing good prices on your stock like pet food and toys, and is ultimately about making a profit.
- It will be very hard work. Caring for animals is difficult and looking after your stock won’t be easy either. Be prepared to put in the hours.
The small mammals category includes creatures such as rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, rats and chinchillas. These can make excellent pets for children and adults alike, giving you companionship without being as demanding as a dog or a cat. But what are the real benefits of keeping these animals as pets?
- Companionship. Your pet will always be there for you, keeping you company whenever you want them to. As long as you love them and give them attention, they will love you back.
- Give children a sense of responsibility. Having a pet can be a great way for a child to learn what it’s like to be responsible. You can’t get much more serious than being responsible for the health and comfort of an animal. It is a very good life lesson for them.
- Relatively cheap. Of course, any animal can have health problems and may have veterinary costs. The costs of keeping a small mammal will generally be quite low though, as their food and bedding will be quite cheap.
- Friendly. Small mammals are cute and friendly. Make sure you are able to spend time with them and enjoy their company.
However, do bear in mind that there are some negatives to pet ownership.
- Always think very, very carefully before buying a pet. Some small mammals can live for around 7 or 8 years, so it’s a long time to make that commitment.
- You will always have something else to think about if you are going away, as you’ll need to find someone to look after your pet.
- You need to have enough time to spend with your animals. This is especially true for pets like rats, as they are very sociable and will need quite a lot of attention. They can become depressed if they don’t have companionship, so make sure you are committed before you buy a pet.
Pet food is a daily necessity for all pet owners, and as such the pet food wholesale business has many benefits for both shop owners and members of the public. Below, we will lay out the main advantages of purchasing pet food in large quantities.
Cost effective and reliable.
Pet lovers always want to do the best for their pets, and so running out of pet food can be a total nightmare. Purchasing pet food in bulk is a brilliant way to ensure that there is always enough in the cupboard for all of the household pets. And, for shop owners, pet food is one of those items that is always in demand. Even very small businesses can benefit greatly from purchasing their pet food from a wholesale supplier. Not only is it actually cheaper by unit to do so, it also ensures that shopkeepers can afford to have large quantities of pet food in stock for all of those pet loving customers.
Almost all of the top brands of pet food offer wholesale buying solutions. And there are plenty of smaller brands that do so as well. So, it is very easy to purchase in bulk no matter what type of pet food you are going for. In addition, purchasing wholesale helps to cut down on shipping costs associated with brands that manufacture their pet food overseas. If you buy one wholesale lot of pet food, then you will only need to pay for shipping once. Whereas, if you purchase it can-by-can or package-by-package as and when it runs out, you will rack up some substantial shipping costs.
Unusual pets and special diets.
The wholesale option is not just reserved for the mainstream brands or for the most common types of pets such as cats and dogs. On the contrary, you can purchase wholesale lots of exotic pet supplies with ease, and you will also find that it is relatively easy to purchase wholesale stocks of pet food for pets that have unusual diets (such as cats with diabetes). Just because things are being purchased in a larger quantity does not mean that they cannot be highly specialised.
Time and time again, economic and psychological studies have shown that people tend to budget only for the immediate future. Whether they are running a business or just purchasing items for their own household, humans have a tendency to think only about what they need for the coming week or fortnight. However, expanding our horizons to consider what we will need to purchase and to use in the longer run ultimately helps us to save money. Try considering your budget for the next 6 months. Does it make sense to buy a large quantity of pet food wholesale right now and to use it over the coming months, or does it make sense to purchase food as and when it is needed, at what is ultimately a higher cost? When you expand your thinking to a wider time frame, purchasing your pet supplies from a wholesale dealer becomes a no brainer!
Whether you’ve got a dog, a parrot, a hamster or a goldfish, they all need the right diet to stay healthy. Choose the right food for you much loved pet in order to give it the longest and happiest life you possibly can.
Do some reading around the subject to work out what you pet should be eating. There are lots of brands available, and they won’t all necessarily be as nutritious as each other. See what other people are saying about the pet products you could be buying and make sure you do your research.
Ask the professionals for recommendations. This can help you to work out the best diet for your pet. Ask people in the pet store you shop in, and speak to you vet.
Make sure you don’t give your pet too many unhealthy treats or they will start to put on weight. Combine a good diet with good living conditions to give your pet the best chance in life you possibly can.
Training your dog is an essential part of keeping this type of animal as a pet. It bring so much more to the relationship and allows you to take your dog out and about without the worry that it will misbehave. Some people train their dogs as puppies, but it’s always possible to train a dog later in life as well, especially if it has been rehomed and needs some extra attention. Here are some of the most important things you will get out of dog training:
- A better relationship with your pet. It’s easy to become stressed and angry when your dog constantly misbehaves. Training helps solve this so you can concentrate on all the good parts of being a dog owner.
- Mutual respect. Training a dog teaches them how to have manners. Owners love their dogs and want to treat them well, so it’s good when a dog reciprocates.
- No sense of fear when taking your dog out for walks. You will be able to let your dog off the lead and let it socialise with other animals
- Trust. You will work with your pet in a whole new way, creating a real partnership. Classes teach you to build a loving and trusting relationship with your dog.
- Fun. The training classes themselves can be great fun, and you will be able to have an even more enjoyable time with your dog once he or she is properly trained.
Pet Trade Online
For pet retail businesses, finding new and intriguing products for their customers is a massively important area for them. We see new pet products being released all of the time, with many of them helping to improve the quality of life both for you and your pet. This is why pet trade websites can be so important to the pet industry, as the most effective and up to date channel for conveying new product information from manufacturers to retailers, and then on to pet owners.
Puppy Lessons and Socialising
If more and more dog owners considered puppy training in Northampton, the world would be a friendlier place. Many owners fail to take an interest in classes or training when their dog is young, and it means they can be rather aggressive and boisterous when they're older, especially if they do not regularly socialise with other dogs.