The pet trade is rapidly growing and is a major UK industry. Pet trade events give businesses in the pet industry the chance to showcase their products, letting the world know exactly what they can offer. These kinds of events are important in the pet industry and really help businesses to thrive, by promoting their products and giving businesses a good platform to network.
Pet events might fall into two general categories – pet events for businesses and events for the public.The type of event you choose to exhibit at will all depend on what you want to achieve. If you are looking to network with other businesses, visit a trade only show. This gives you the chance to really catch up with your industry, stay on top of its latest developments ad meet other businesses who are working in similar areas as you. Trade shows have played a major part in launching pet businesses for many people.
What happens at a pet trade event?
Usually at a pet trade event, there will be people from various areas of the industry showing their products and services. There could be various different things going on – some of the most popular are:
- Stalls and exhibits. This is where exhibitors set up stalls to show people their products. They might have leaflets and promotional products to give away, as well as the actual products themselves. If people offer services, such as dog grooming or pet training, then they can also give people information about these.
- Live demonstrations. There will often be live demonstrations going on, for the people whose businesses work better when being shown. This allows them to show people what they can do. It could be anything, from an IT programme for pet shops to a new training method for pet owner to use.
- Giveaways and competitions. Events will usually be running some kind of promotion to entice pet businesses in. You can enter yourself into various competitions and see if you can win something beneficial for your business. This will often be beneficial for your business and will help you find out about other products on the market.
- Networking. This is a great way to meet other pet businesses and explore the marketplace in general. It is especially beneficial if you are looking for something to help with your business, such as a new product range to sell, a new supplier or a new kind of business system. If you meet people who are like minded and who want to help your business, as well as promote their own, you might be able to get products for some very reasonable prices.
If you are going to go to a pet business event, make sure you register in advance – the most popular ones can get booked up very quickly. It might also cost money if you want to exhibit there, so find out about packages and the cheapest ways of being able to attend. You could also find out about whether you are able to take part in live demonstrations.
A pet business is a little different to a normal business. It needs to think about two lots of personalities – the people and the animals. The animals very much need to be a priority, but then again, so do the people who are running the business. Here are some things to help you run a successful pet business:
- Employ passionate people. You can teach people skills, but you can’t teach them to love animals. Employ people who genuinely love pets and want to work with them.
- Never lose sight of why you do what you do. It’s easy to get bogged down in business admin and stock control. Remember the pets, the animals you love, and why you care about them.
- Keep a business head on. At the same time, you need to be a dispassionate business person sometimes. Be organised – its for the good of the people you employ, the pets you love, and your business.
Microchipping a pet is essential if you have its best interests at heart. You will need to get dogs and cats microchipped to keep them safe, so that if they get lost, you will be able to find them again. A microchip will include all of your details so that people can get hold of you if they find your pet.
You should get your pet microchipped as soon as you can after you get them. This is especially important for outdoor cats, that could very easily get lost. It’s more likely that they will become disorientated and get lost early on when they don’t know their new territory, so a microchip becomes even more important.
You can have your pet microchipped at any veterinary surgery. If is a very quick and simple procedure, where the microchip will be inserted into the skin at the back of the animal’s neck. It won’t be too expensive – but you can’t put a price on pet safety anyway.
The pet industry is enormous and there is a lot of opportunity there. If you are thinking of bringing out a pet product, it could be a good decision for you and your business. There are a number of routes into the market, you will be pleased to know.
It is important to test your idea thoroughly before you decide on its final design. Carry out plenty of market research with pet owners and pet stores to see if they would buy your product. You can also look into the current marketplace to work out how much competition you have.
Once the idea has been finalised, you need to get the product designed and produced. Do not rush this process – make sure the design meets your standards and will meet the expectations of your market research groups. You will then need to use your business and negotiation skills to sell it to pet product suppliers.
Horses are beautiful, loving animals – even if they are not the most intelligent at times! There is a lot that you can gain from having a horse as part of your household. Can they ever really be classed as pets in the traditional sense, though?
Bear in mind that a horse is going to need a lot more care than many pets, even dogs. They will need regular exercise, and lots of it. If you don’t have your own stables and fields, you will need to arrange somewhere to keep your horse that has the right conditions for them. It is also going to be a very expensive animal to look after. The food alone is going to cost so much more than any other type of pet.
Having a horse is a great idea if you and your family love horse riding. It could be hard to regard a horse as a family pet though, as they need so much care and attention.
Pet Trade Online
For pet retail businesses, finding new and intriguing products for their customers is a massively important area for them. We see new pet products being released all of the time, with many of them helping to improve the quality of life both for you and your pet. This is why pet trade websites can be so important to the pet industry, as the most effective and up to date channel for conveying new product information from manufacturers to retailers, and then on to pet owners.